Sustainable financing for Swaziland's National Protected Area System
Donor/Partner: UNDP | Duration: 2013-2014 | Location: Kingdom of Swaziland, Africa
About:As part of the development of a UNDP/GEF full-scale project on biodiversity conservation in a landscape approach, led the initiative on protected area financing.
The project took an integrated approach, linking “bottom up” site-based interventions (such as improved PA financial planning which entails aligning conservation goals and spending priorities, defining cost-effective management approaches, identifying the overall costs associated with revised management plans, and generating new funding) – with “top down” national policy level work.
Development of site-based financing strategies was complimented by the identification and modification of legal and regulatory constraints at the national level. The project worked with a broad array of government agencies and private sector partners whose decisions influence the finances of protected areas.
The project goal was to ensure that the foundations, structures and processes were put in place to achieve the financial sustainability of the various management systems of protected areas and increase the likelihood of achieving financial sustainability.
conducted the following activities as part of this project:
- Facilitated and coordinated the communications and consultation plan involving national and local stakeholders and a series of national workshops
- Assessed and reviewed livelihood opportunities and options in the buffer areas around protected areas
- Assessed and reviewed gender opportunities and options for mainstreaming in the buffer areas around protected areas and as part of protecetd area management
- Technical Skills:
- Biodiversity conservation
- Environmental and ecological economics
- Livlihood and vulnerability assessment
- Financial assessment & modeling
- Protected areas management
- Environmental policy and planning
- Community engagement
- Integrated natural resource management
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Protected Areas
- Finacial Sustainability
- Community Development
- Gender Analysis